Madwomen Monologues now open – until July 31, 2017
The Madwomen Monologues are a collaborative effort between Baggage Productions and the female writing community and the Melbourne acting and directing fraternity.
Each year in early May we open the Madwomen Monologues for submissions – See below for the guidelines. We close the submissions at the end of July and announce the shortlist in August. Directors are selected in late August/early September and the pieces are cast in September and the performances occur in November. We will only create as many nights of work as there are good submissions. Generally each night has 8 submissions, the venues are “pop-up” this means that we perform on separate nights, and bump in and out on the same day.
No one is paid. The profit is split 50/50 with Baggage Productions (to stage this in the following year) and a women’s charity of our choosing (we’re happy to hear suggestions).
The Madwomen Monologues give us a chance to highlight the work of female writers, celebrate the monologue as a form and showcase Melbourne performers and directors.
- Monologues must be between 1 and 10 mins.
- Monologues must be written by a woman.
- Monologues can be on any topic or theme. Please try to keep elaborate costumes and props to a minimum (unless you can supply them.)
- Be as imaginative and creative as you like. We classify a monologue as a single performer on stage as the focus of whatever is happening.
- Monologues can be for any gender.
- Multiple entries are accepted and welcomed.
- No Resubmissions (unless this has been prearranged)
- No submission fee required.
- Participation will be unpaid for all.
- All casting and personnel will be finalised and decided by Baggage productions.
Please submit all monologues to firstname.lastname@example.org. Monologues should be submitted as Word Documents or PDF format as an attachment to your email. Please ensure that your name and contact details are clearly notated in the email and on the script.
Playwrights will be emailed upon submission.